Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme run by That Artsy Reader Girl!
The topic for today is actually books on my summer 2018 TBR. The thing is, I’m going away from the summer (I know, again, studying French this time), and even though I’m planning to bring some books and I’ll have a place to store them, I don’t know how many I can lug across the country. I’ll probably buy books: there’s an English bookstore near where I’m staying.
In short, I have no idea what I’ll be reading. It depends on what I’m able to fit in my suitcase and whether I can catch up on my ARCs.
So! Instead, I’m going to give some nice summery reads, so y’all can read nice summer books while I’m suffering through verb conjugation.
I’m going more off a vague ~this feels summery~ vibe for all of these books – some more obvious than others.
- The Summer of Jordi Perez (and the Best Burger in Los Angeles) by Amy Spalding: This is the first book I think of when I hear “summer read” — it’s an adorable F/F romcom set in Los Angeles during the summer.
- Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston: This is another really fluffy romcom and one of my new favourites!
- When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon: …so, summer is just romcom season? This romcom is set during a summer internship program and it’s adorable.
- In Other Lands by Sarah Rees Brennan: We’re heading into fantasy: a light, fun satire of the fantasy school genre. It’s one of the most fun fantasies I’ve read and it doesn’t take itself too seriously.
- You Know Me Well by Nina LaCour and David Levithan: This book is an ode to queer people and queer pride, and just so fun and heartwarming.
- Dress Codes for Small Towns by Courtney Stevens: This is more introspective than cute, and it’s a coming-of-age, but it still gives me the summer vibes.
- Aristotle & Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz: Another very introspective book that gives me summer vibes and also makes my heart ache.
- Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour: Another Los Angeles f/f summer book here, but again, this one’s more of a coming of age than a proper romance.
- Dread Nation by Justina Ireland: We’re going into historical fantasy here; summer makes me feel like a zombie. Alas: zombies.
- Pride by Ibi Zoboi: For my final summer reads pick, we’re back into romcom territory for an Afro-Latinx retelling of Pride and Prejudice.
what are your favourite summer reads? and what are you planning to read this summer?
20 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday: Summer Reads”
I really enjoyed Everything Leads to You!
It’s one of my favourite sapphic books!
Summer of Jordi Perez, Dimple Met Rishi and RWRB are definitely the perfect summer books and I absolutely adore them 😍😍😍
Same!! Like, summer is just a good time to kick back with a cute romcom!
I really want to read RWRB
Do it! RWRB is incredible!
I really need to read Dread Nation sometime. It keeps popping up on TTT lists here and there, and it sounds super fun.
Oh yeah, Dread Nation is definitely really cool and one of the most unique books I’ve read – plus a really good commentary on colonialism and racism in the States.
YES, In Other Lands is a perfect summer read! And I feel like all of Nina LaCour’s books screams summer. 😀 Wonderful list!
I also struggled with my post this week because I’m going out of town for 4 weeks and I’m only planning on reading ebooks (and I tend to mood-read those). This is a nice change in topic! I’m reminded that I still need to read In Other Lands!
I’m definitely a mood reader which is why I usually never make TBRs! But yeah, brooks are so much more convenient for travel 🤧 In Other Lands is soooo good!
Fantastic list! I really want to read In Other Lands and You Know Me Well…and books like RWRB and Aristotle and Dante are just perfect for the summertime 😀 I love your reasoning for including Dread Nation, because I also feel like a zombie during the summer
I’m a winter gal I can’t help it 😅 And both In Other Lands and You Know Me Well are excellent, I hope you get to read them!
I’m currently reading Red White and Royal Blue, and you’re so right. The fluffy romcom aspect is totally winning for summer reads. Great picks! 🙂
Thanks! I hope you like RWRB, it’s my new favourite 🙂
I want to read some of the contemporary novels on here sometime (: and In Other Lands which just sounds unlike anything that I’ve read tbh. I also recently brought Dread Nation so hopefully I’ll get to that soon 😀 I hope you have a nice time in France.
In Other Lands is honestly SO good – it’s a satire and very laid-back for a fantasy but the emotional impact is. Oof. Dread Nation is also excellent too! I hope you like them 🙂
It definitely sounds very intriguing! And that’s really good to know. Thank you so much, hopefully I’ll end up loving them both 😀
This is a really great list! Most of these are on my TBR. I really enjoyed Aristotle and Dante 🙂
Thanks! Ari & Dante is one of my faves 🙂